Kern Patriot Partnership Home > Employers > Why Hire a Veteran
Why Hire a Veteran
Employers benefit from hiring Veterans. Military personnel are often cross-trained in multiple skills and have experience in varied tasks and responsibilities. Many Veterans have learned what it means to put in a hard day’s work. They have also come to appreciate the challenges and satisfaction of a job well done. Much of this experience can translate to their participation in the workforce making the Veteran an asset on the job.
Strengths Veterans can bring to the workplace include:
- Working well in a team. Teamwork is considered an essential part of daily life and is the foundation on which safe military operations are built.
- Having a sense of duty. Responsibility for job performance and accountability for completing missions are something to take pride in.
- Experiencing self-confidence. Holding a realistic estimation of self and ability based on experience is expected of each Service Member.
- Being organized and disciplined.
- Possessing a strong work ethic. In the military, the mission always comes first.
- Incredibly reliable. Having the ability to follow through on assignments, even under difficult or stressful circumstances.
- Diverse skill sets. Possessing a variety of cross-functional skills, such as extensive training on computer programs and systems, interacting with various people with different skills to accomplish a task, and coordinating and troubleshooting problems in novel and unknown conditions.
- Being able to problem solve quickly and creatively.
- Being able to adapt to changing situations.
- Being able to follow rules and schedules.
Hiring a Veteran can result in the hiring of a dedicated employee who has developed valuable teamwork, leadership, and job skills. Also see our Top Ten Reasons to Hire a Veteran page.